Quick Guide for Patients
Most people think pathology is a blood test but it is much more than the testing of blood. Pathology is the examination of blood, tissues (for example a skin biopsy or a breast lump) and bodily fluids such as sputum and urine, to determine the state of your body.
Your doctor may refer you for pathology testing as part of the investigation process of your condition, to determine an appropriate diagnosis, and provide you with the best medical care.
As a not-for-profit organisation, IMVS Pathology bulk-bills all patients for all items covered under the Medicare Benefits Schedule, so there is no gap payment required. More information is available on our billing policy page.
IMVS Pathology is committed to privacy and the protection of personal information in accordance with privacy laws.
Your doctor will advise you when your results are available.
Safety and security of samples and test results
If you are dropping off a sample, our collection staff will check your details (family name, first name, date of birth, date and time of collection on the container label) against the pathology request form to ensure the sample is matched to your doctor's request.
Your sample is then transported to one of our laboratories in an insulated container. Once it arrives, your details are cross-checked again. The sample is then bar-coded to ensure each patient's details are always matched to their sample.
All of our laboratories are accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) , which means that the highest standards must be met, ensuring the accuracy of your pathology test results.
Why choose IMVS Pathology?
The benefits of choosing IMVS Pathology as your provider include:
- no out-of-pocket expenses; IMVS Pathology bulk bills all patients for all Medicare eligible tests, with NO GAP payment required
- over 65 convenient locations to have your sample taken with convenient hours of operation and short waiting periods
- highly trained, proficient, friendly and professional collection staff
- results are available on a database linked to every metropolitan and regional hospital, thus giving you continuity of care no matter which public hospital you are being treated in
- specialists treating patients with chronic illnesses have access to all IMVS Pathology results through SA Health's electronic clinical data management system, ensuring your continuity of care and management
- many of our pathologists are also trained as specialist clinicians and work in the metropolitan hospitals as haematologists, infectious diseases physicians, endocrinologists, geneticists and immunologists. They therefore provide continuity of care from pathology test interpretation, diagnosis and clinical consultation (when referred by a GP to a public hospital), treatment and future surveillance
- using IMVS Pathology, an entirely SA-based pathology provider, creates more jobs for South Australians, supports the state's economy and invests in South Australia by conducting medical research and training doctors for the future
- as a not for profit organisation, we reinvest in medical research, and currently support the Hanson Institute, the Centre for Cancer Biology, the Lysosomal Diseases Research Unit, the ACRF Cancer Genomics Facility and other research groups