This section provides clinicians with downloadable materials that can be used and distributed. Patient brochures are also included to assist clinicians in providing preparation and collection instructions to patients for different types of tests.
The following publications are provided for your assistance.
The 'what next?' series
This series of articles was designed to provide a guide or a 'what next' step for abnormal laboratory results. These articles will therefore assist in directing further investigations within these commonly requested test panels.
- MBA – Renal markers
- MBA – Clinical use of glucose and urate
- MBA – Calcium, phosphate, magnesium, cholesterol
- MBA – Albumin and globulin
- CBE - Morphological classification of anaemia
- CBE - How to assess ethrocytosis
- CBE - The white cell count
- CBE - Platelet abnormalities
This series of articles is provided as a laboratory testing guide to common diseases.
- Allergens, interpreting results
- Allergen selection best practice
- Allergy myth busters (part 1)
- Allergy myth busters (part 2)
- Asthma triggers
- Arthritis, infection related
- Autoimmune tests, a guide to
- Bowel cancer screening
- Chickenpox and herpes zoster (shingles)
- Osteoporosis, controlling
- Paracetamol overdose, guidelines for the management of
- Respiratory tract infections in general practice
- Thyroid function, test interpretation
- Tumour markers
- Warfarin therapy in a nutshell
Test information and interpretation
We frequently receive requests for information or interpretation on these tests.
Specimen collection instructions
These specimens are frequently collected by clinicians, and information is provided here to assist with their collection.
Patient information brochures
These brochures are provided to assist clinicians in advising patients on specimen collection requirements and instructions. They are designed to be printed out and provided to patients requiring these tests.
- 24 hour urine test
- Autologous blood collection and transfusion
- Alpha1 Antitrypsin test
- Blood Transfusion
- Calcium absorption test
- Catecholamines urine test
- Faecal occult blood test
- Faecal collection kit for culture and parasites
- Fasting early morning urine
- Glucose tolerance test
- Hydrogen breath test
- Micro urine collection
- Platelet aggregation test
- Salivary cortisol collection
- Semen analysis
- Urea breath test
- Urinary 5HIAA collection
- Urinary albumin overnight collection
- Urinary albumin spot collection