Food and Environmental Testing
IMVS Pathology's Food and Environmental Laboratory has operated from Frome Road, Adelaide since the early 1960s, providing a quality testing service that understands the needs of our clients. Revenue from this testing is used to support medical research.
As a highly accredited local South Australian laboratory, we provide fast turnaround times for independent microbiological and chemical testing, unrivalled in quality and tailored to the needs of the food, beverage and pharmaceutical and cosmetics industries.
We are committed to providing quality laboratory results through professional technical support and personalised customer service. This is delivered by:
- achieving the highest levels of accreditation and licensing
- continuously reinvesting in our quality systems and technology
- maintaining a staff of professionals with food production and extensive commercial laboratory experience.
Ph: 08 8222 3363
Fax: 08 8222 3695
Address: Frome Road, Adelaide, South Australia 5000 view location map
Samples can be delivered to any IMVS Pathology patient collection centre or by arranged courier collection.
Our team has a wealth of experience in dealing with a range of specific testing requirements and is conversant with industry and regulatory standards.
The laboratory provides:
- microbiological and chemical testing of food and beverages
- microbiological testing of cosmetics, perfumes and essential oils
- microbiological testing to monitor defined environments (air)
- human pharmaceutical and biological products testing
- testing of surface hygiene in abattoirs
- testing of water samples including effluent
- any other testing under the terms of the laboratory's NATA accreditation and TGA Licence as requested.
The Food and Environmental Laboratory obtains and maintains accreditation and approvals required by clients, SA Pathology, or for the operation of the laboratory, including:
- accreditation by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) for a wide range of tests
- Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) Licence for microbiological analysis and testing
- Quality accreditation to ISO9001:2000 standard
- Approved Laboratory and Analysts under Part 6 of the Food Act 2001 for the SA Department of Health
- AQIS approval to test meat and meat products for export
- AQIS Appointed Analyst under Section 34 of the Imported Food Control Act 1992 to provide sub-contract services.
Measurement of Uncertainty
Measurement of Uncertainty (MU) is a parameter associated with the result of a measurement, which characterises the dispersion of the values that could reasonably be attributed to the measurand. The Food and Environmental Laboratory has established the MU for its testing techniques as follows:
Technique MU in Log10 Pour Plate 0.21 Log10 Spread Plate 0.26 Log10 Petrifilm 0.21 Log10 MPN – foods and waters 0.37 Log10 Colilert MPN 0.22 Log10 Membrane Filtration 0.16 Log10
Sample Submission Form
NATA Accredited Laboratory No 1521